For anyone that somehow may not have heard, Indiana recently signed into law SB 101.
These are sad days for Indiana and a very difficult time for the majority of Hoosiers that call Indiana home every day. This new law has been weighing heavily on me for many reasons:
1. The obvious...Discrimination of any kind is unacceptable. Religion has no business in public businesses. It sets us back over a hundred years in terms of social progress.
I think most small business owners would agree that we have enough crap to deal with on a day-to-day basis, that the last thing we need is our out-of-touch law makers making it more difficult for us to attract customers, retain talent and give people a reason to NOT want to do business with us.
2. This law has caused upheaval in our workplace and it makes me very sad.
3. Our business has always been open to everyone, that has never been an issue. We welcome all customers, employees, vendors and visitors! Now, we have to make sure that something that we have always done, which is extend a warm welcome to everyone, is publicized? Anyone should feel comfortable walking into any establishment and I am frustrated that this law is taking that sense of security and comfort away from our residents.
I am very much of the mentality that business and politics don't mix well.
I hesitated posting anything regarding this new law because 1. our policies do not change - we have always welcomed everyone with open arms and 2. I don't feel the need to isolate any of our customers or employees. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their own views and I respect that. If we start hating and persecuting each other for what each of us believe, we are no better than this legislation. This country was founded on the fact that everyone can have different views and co-exist in the same place. I still believe that is what makes our country great.
For anyone that is concerned or thinking twice about doing business with "Indiana," I would ask you to remember these things:
1. The policies of our lawmakers do not always reflect the views and beliefs of it's citizens
2. Indiana is made up of wonderful, hard working individuals that are just as upset as most of you. We are a state of hoosier hospitality and acceptance, regardless of our legislation. We are a state of great businesses and caring people.
3. I am expressing my personal views here...because again, I don't like to mix business and politics. So if you are mad about it, please yell at me directly. But, please know that Roberts is open to every single Hoosier, and American and person. We welcome your business and friendship and we are just as sad as you that this is something we have to make a separate point about when it should be common knowledge.
We will continue to do things the same as we always have, which is extend the warmest welcome to everyone! We stand with all the other businesses who openly and willingly serve everyone!